To make french fries:
1. Peel the russet potatoes and cut the french fries. I most often cut them by hand but there are great cutters available which will do it for you. Make sure to get one that takes a larger potato. Some offer you thick and thin cuts. Soak in cold water until ready to fry.
2. Preheat the deep fryer to 375 F.
3. Take enough potatoes to fill the basket no more than ½ full and pat them dry with a dish towel. Lift the basket from the oil and place the potatoes in. Lower carefully into the oil and immediately reduce the heat to 325 F. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes until just starting to colour. Lift the basket and drain the oil. Turn fries onto a plate (I use a glass pie plate) lined with paper towel to drain. Repeat until you have done all the potatoes. The potatoes should cool for a few minutes before proceeding to step 4.
4. Starting with the first batch, re-fry the potatoes for another 2 to 3 minutes until staring to brown. Drain and replace on paper towels. Repeat for all potatoes. This step can be done well ahead of the meal – it is fine to let them cool.
5. Turn deep fryer up to 375 F. Re-fry each batch of potatoes until done to your liking – usually another 3 – 4 minutes depending on cool the potatoes are. The potatoes start to rise to the surface when getting done.
6. Serve immediately sprinkled with salt, if desired.